Mushrooms on Toast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 pounds white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (Mamy loved to use fresh parsley, tarragon and chives)
- 8 thick slices of bread (Mamy prefered white bread from the bakery)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
1. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat until it stops foaming. Add half of the shallots and cook until lightly browned. Add half of the mushrooms and sauté over medium-high heat until they’ve softened and their liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate, then repeat with the remaining butter, shallots and mushrooms. Return the reserved mushrooms to the skillet, stir in the chopped mixed herbs and sauté for another minute or two.
2. Meanwhile, toast the bread. Stir the cream into the mushroom mixture and season with salt and white pepper to taste. Butter the toast, if you like, and divide the mushroom mixture evenly over each slice; serve immediately.