KFC Honey BBQ Wings
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon MSG
- 20 chicken wing pieces
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until ingredients are well combined and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. As sauce is simmering, heat up 6 to 8 cups of shortening in
a deep fryer set to 350 degrees.
3. Combine the beaten egg with the milk in a small bowl.
4. In another small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and MSG.
5. When shortening is hot, dip each wing first in the flour mixture,
then into the milk and egg mixture, and back into the flour. Arrange
wings on a plate until each one is coated with batter.
6. Fry the wings in the shortening for 9 to 12 minutes or until light
golden brown. If you have a small fryer, you may wish to fry 10 of
the wings at a time. Drain on paper towels or a rack.
7. When the sauce is done, brush the entire surface of each wing with
a light coating of sauce. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 to 4 servings (20 wings).