Ina Garten Date Nut Spice Bread
Source: Ina Garten - Food Network
- 2 cups coarsly chopped dates ( 10 ounces pitted)
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur ( Cointreau or Triple sec)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest ( 2 oranges)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup coarsly chopped pecans ( 3 oz.)
For the cream cheese spread
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1. In a bowl combine dates and orange liqueur and "marinate" for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Prepare loaf pan (8x5); butter bottom, line with parchment paper, butter again and flour.
4. Sift together flour, and next 6 ingredients. Set aside.
5. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar for 1 minute. Then, at low speed, add egg, vanilla, and orange zest. Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice. Beat only until combined.
6. Mix in pecans and dates with liquid by hand.
7. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
8. To make the orange cream cheese, add add ingredients together