Cherry Chocolate Cake
A long time favorite in this house. You need a sweet tooth to like it and a love of cherries doesn't hurt.
- One chocolate cake mix
- 25 marshmallows
- 16 oz. jar of maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup Cherry Syrup (Reese’s Maraschino Syrup) usually found in the ice cream topping section of you grocery store.
- 8 drops of red food coloring
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (whipped)
1. Make the chocolate cake mix according to the box instructions with the exception of using the liquid from the jar of cherries used for the frosting. Substitute the juice from the jar with enough water to fill the requirements of the box cake mix.
2. Bake in either a 9x13 sheet pan or round cake pans.
3. Slowly over a low heat melt the marshmallows and cherry syrup until marshmallows are totally melted…stirring all the time. Cool to room temperature. Drain the cherries and use the juice to bake the cake with. Chop the cherries.
4. Whip the cream to stiff. Fold together cherries, whipped cream and cooled marshmallow mixture. Spread over the cake. Chill for at least 4 fours before cutting.